With urgent phone calls from Preveza, Kastelorizo, Skyros … citizens from all over Greece are asking ELLET for support. Every day, our colleagues and our scientific advisors look at each case, searching for the most effective way to take action. Thanks to the SOS programme, we respond to the community’s requests for action in three ways:
• Local issues: we educate citizens on how to fight for, and to protect, the area they live in.
• National issues: we put a great deal of effort into promoting issues at a national level and often appeal to the Council of State (CoS).
• Critical environmental and cultural issues: we mobilise at an international level, in cooperation with pan-European and international bodies (European Environmental Bureau, Europa Nostra), and we achieve significant results.
ELLET has recently received a number of important requests, including:
- Acropolis SOS: worldwide campaign and appeal to the CoS to protect the monument from the construction of tall buildings.
- Antiquities in Venizelou station – Thessaloniki Metro: they must be protected.
- RES – Aegean Islands: they must not be converted into an industrial wind farm zone, for the benefit of the capital.
- Tatoi: 23 years of struggle.
- Marathon: the illegal buildings that spoilt the landscape at historic Schinias beach were removed.
- Patmos – Linginou beach: continuing the fight to protect the Holy Island.
- Forests & Forested areas: appeal to the CoS to protect forest areas from oversights on the issue of drawing up Forest Maps.
- Vlychada: appeal to the CoS for the protection of geological formations in Santorini.
- Kastellorizo: supporting the local community for the preservation of the cultural landscape.